Professional Coaching in Nova Scotia
Coaching is a process of facilitated change that will lead to desired results. People seek the services of a professional coach when they desire change in some aspect of their life or their work and they don’t quite know how to begin, or when they’re dubious about following through on the things they want to change, on their own.
“As your coach it is my role to help you be clear about what you want to change and what you want it to look and feel like when it has changed. I then help you work out how to make the change and then support you to make it happen.”
The process is essentially a conversation that we have, guided by the goal(s) you wish to achieve through coaching, and facilitated through the questions that I ask of you. My questions are carefully chosen to help you to think more deeply, and often from a fresh perspective, about where you are and where you want to be. I help you to work out how to overcome obstacles, secure support, and how to celebrate your success. I will also at times offer you my own observations to help you deepen your perspective.
Confidentiality is paramount. I maintain the strictest confidentiality in accordance with the Code of Ethics of my professional associations. My commitment to confidentiality is in writing, in the Agreement we sign when we start working together.
I help you to clarify your thoughts, explore and evaluate your options, and then support you in taking action. I do this firstly by accepting you as you are. I do not second-guess or judge you. When you hesitate I help you work out what is standing in your way and guide you in moving forward. I don’t give advice or unsolicited opinions.
“My entire approach is based on the belief that you are the master of your own life and destiny and mine is a supportive role along part of that journey.”
I believe you already have the answers within you – my task is to help you formulate and test them. My task is also never to let you down and to help you stay on track.
After coaching with me my clients come away with achievements in some or all of these areas:
- Stronger relationships with partners, family, neighbors, friends and colleagues;
- Increased personal resilience in responding to conflict;
- Creative and effective ways to confront difficult situations;
- Strengthened relationships in the face of adversity;
- Creation of new solutions to entrenched problems;
- Team conflict turned into team achievement;
- Enhanced cultural competence.
Conflict coaching is a process which serves to build your confidence and competence in managing interpersonal and other conflicts.
It is a highly specialized area of coaching work which is often offered in conjunction with executive, career, and leadership coaching. It is a voluntary process. It is highly confidential. It is transformative.
Because the decision to request conflict coaching is usually triggered by a specific event, the process is focused and relatively short (often a one-hour telephone coaching session is all it takes).
My clients are often looking for support in one or several of these areas:
- A dispute already exists, and the client wants to work out what the appropriate course of action is for them.
- There is ongoing conflict or interpersonal tension and the client needs to explore and select an appropriate resolution.
- In anticipation of a difficult conversation, for example a performance review or a disciplinary interview, to prepare for the anticipated backlash or other emotional response that might blur the issues and damage the relationship.
- To find inner resolution regarding a conflict or disagreement where the other party is unwilling to participate in mediation.
- As a bully, the client wants to transform their own behaviour.
- As the victim of a bully, the client wants to stop being a victim by becoming empathic and assertive.
- To prepare for a conflict resolution process, e.g. arbitration, restorative justice, or mediation.
- To overcome a personal propensity to avoid conflict, which has resulted in months or years of negative self-talk, or which occasionally results in an emotional outburst when ‘things get out hand.’
- To transform a toxic workplace culture into one of respect, trust, and appreciation.
Conflict coaching is offered in person and telephonically. A telephone coaching session is of great value when facing an urgent or volatile situation.
Some corporate clients opt for a retainer arrangement where any of their designated staff may schedule a conflict coaching call without worrying about payment and contracts, and knowing that their conflict coach is readily at hand at short notice.
My invitation to you is to consider the options below and to contact me for more information.
Conflict coaching packages start at $400 for 4 sessions for community and not-for-profit groups, and employers with less than 100 employees.
Sessions can be booked privately by individuals, at a special discount rate.
Corporate packages (organisations employing more than 100 full-time, part-time, temporary or casual employees) include 3, 6 and 12 month options, with added features (e.g. in-house training/lunch & learn)
Please contact me for details.