Coaching is a process of facilitated change that will lead to desired results. People seek the services of a professional coach when they desire change in some aspect of their life or their work and they don’t quite know how to begin, or when they’re uncertain about how achieve change, on their own.
After working with me, my clients come away with achievements in some or all of these areas:
- Creation of new solutions to entrenched problems;
- Team conflict turned into team achievement;
- Stronger relationships with partners, family, neighbors, friends and colleagues;
- Increased personal resilience in responding to conflict;
- Creative and effective ways to confront difficult situations;
- Enhanced cultural competence.
- Strengthened relationships in the face of adversity;
- Team leadership that utilizes adversity to build trust and respect.
The process is essentially a conversation between us. The agenda is yours: we focus on the goals you intend to achieve through coaching.
My questions are carefully chosen to help you to think more deeply, and often from a fresh perspective, about where you are and where you want to be.
I help you to work out how to overcome obstacles, secure support, and how to celebrate your success. I will also at times offer you my own observations to help you deepen your perspective.
Confidentiality is paramount. I maintain the strictest confidentiality in accordance with the Code of Ethics of my professional associations. My commitment to confidentiality is in writing, in the Agreement we sign when we start working together.
I help you to clarify your thoughts, explore and evaluate your options, and then support you in taking action.
I do not second-guess or judge you. When you hesitate I help you work out what is standing in your way. I then guide you in moving forward. I don’t give advice or unsolicited opinions.
“My entire approach is based on the belief that you are the master of your own life and destiny and mine is a supportive role along part of that journey.”
Conflict coaching is a process which serves to build your confidence and competence in managing interpersonal and other conflicts.
It is a highly specialized area of coaching work which is often offered in conjunction with executive, career, and leadership coaching. It is a voluntary process. It is transformative.
Because the decision to request conflict coaching is usually triggered by a specific event, the process is focused and relatively short ( a one-hour telephone coaching session is some times all it takes).
My clients are often looking for support in one or several of these areas:
- A dispute already exists, and the client wants to work out what the appropriate course of action is for them.
- There is ongoing conflict or interpersonal tension and the client needs to explore and select an appropriate resolution.
- In anticipation of a difficult conversation, for example a performance review or a disciplinary interview, to prepare for the anticipated backlash or other emotional response that might blur the issues and damage the relationship.
- To find inner resolution regarding a conflict or disagreement where the other party is unwilling to participate in mediation.
- As a bully, the client wants to transform their own behaviour.
- As the victim of a bully, the client wants to stop being a victim by becoming empathic and assertive.
- To prepare for a conflict resolution process, e.g. arbitration, restorative justice, or mediation.
- To overcome a personal propensity to avoid conflict, which has resulted in months or years of negative self-talk, or which occasionally results in an emotional outburst when ‘things get out hand.’
- To transform a toxic workplace culture into one of respect, trust, and appreciation.
Conflict coaching is offered in person and telephonically. A telephone coaching session is of great value when facing an urgent or volatile situation.
Pro-active employers in Nova Scotia can opt for a retainer arrangement whereby any of their designated staff may schedule a conflict coaching call without worrying about payment and contracts. The advantage is that the coach is available at short notice and is already familiar with the corporate culture and values.
Corporate packages (organisations employing more than 100 full-time, part-time, temporary and/or casual employees) include 3, 6 and 12 month options, with added features (e.g. leadership coaching/in-house training/lunch & learn).
SMALL BUSINESS, NOT-FOR-PROFIT & COMMUNITY GROUPS
Conflict coaching packages start at $700 for 4 sessions for community and not-for-profit groups, and employers with less than 30 employees.
My private clients benefit from a deep discount that I am willing and able to offer, based on my corporate work.
The most common reasons individuals request conflict coaching include:
- A disagreement/conflict that has gone too far and not knowing what to do about it
- Lack of confidence: fear of backlash if you speak out
- Burdened by the weight of never speaking up for herself
- Frustration with a never-changing tense situation: not knowing where to turn
- Worry about own or other person’s temper tantrums as a result of bottled up emotions
- Sometimes wanting to say ‘no’ but still always agreeing to pitch in.
Please contact me for details.